A very warm welcome to all my constituents
Please join me in giving Birmingham Ladywood the strong voice it deserves.
I am your Conservative candidate for Birmingham Ladywood, Aston, Nechells , Soho & Birmingham City Centre.
As a Brummie I am proud and honoured to be representing Ladywood. I have spent a career striving to make life better for people in this country and abroad, and it’s good to be given the chance to do so on my home turf. My experiences range from campaigning in the UK on important policy issues such as securing better treatment for breast cancer sufferers and long-term care for the elderly, to working in some of the world’s trouble spots for the BBC including in Afghanistan, Burma and Pakistan. Now a wife and mother, I want to use that experience of working with Governments and communities around the world to the benefit of the people of Ladywood.
I have come a long way since Small Heath Primary and Bordesley Green Girls School, Cadbury Sixth Form College and Birmingham’s University of Central England, but with my closest family and friends working, teaching, studying and supporting the local football clubs – I still regard Birmingham as my home.
My life’s story is not one of a traditional politician which enables me to relate to the concerns of people of every background – which is vital for the diverse constituents of Ladywood.
- As the daughter of immigrants who is proud that this country allowed me to be the first woman in my family to go to university and achieve a Masters degree after attending the local comprehensive.
- As a businesswoman who tried investment banking but rejected it for a career that spans campaigning for better services for the elderly and victims of breast cancer.
- As a campaigner for good governance and citizen participation in the developing world, I have worked with youth groups, tackling education, crime, terrorism and political engagement.
- As a parent, I understand the importance of good local services from public transport, local GP clinics and having a choice over local schooling.
Working around the world has helped me realise what we need to truly cherish in our country – the values of freedom, responsibility and community that the Conservative party has always championed and are sorely needed for our society. And after the opportunities that this country has bestowed on me, I want to put something back. Campaigning is in my blood, join me in fighting for people of Ladywood, who have been ignored for long enough!
STANDING UP FOR LOCAL PEOPLE
Westminster has become remote and out of touch. People are demanding politicians who will stand up for their concerns and who will do what they say. Labour should be ashamed of the damage it has done to Ladywood - branded the poorest constituency! For too long all the parties have taken places like Ladywood for granted, I aim to change that.
- I will fight to make sure Ladywood gets its fair share of Government funding – to tackle unemployment, regeneration and transport – we need to attract and retain industry and invest in re-skilling. Vital in a constituency with unemployment at 50%!
- I will push for more NHS dentists and local health centres – with lower life expectancy and highest infant mortality rates for the UK – Ladywood needs urgent resources and an end to the NHS postcode lottery.
- I will campaign to raise school standards - As a member of Bordesley Green Community Steering Group working to deliver a new academy – I believe that every child has the right to the best education.
My Political Priorities
- Tough action on crime and anti-social behaviour – We need effective police presence on the streets
- Tackle criminals and support victims – End the early release schemes for convicted criminals
- Encourage greater business investment – Make Birmingham the most competitive city in the UK
- Raise school standards –Power needs to be handed back to teachers and parents
- Reform public services to put tax-payers first – Focus on individual choice and scrutiny
At the age of 37 I have had a successful career in the media, government and business. Working in Westminster , Brussels , Washington and War Zones, my experience and understanding of Government means I can work with the people of Ladywood to make sure their voices are heard. Since graduating from Leeds University with a Masters in International Relations I have worked for; Age Concern, Breakthrough Breast Cancer, BBC World Service and advised the UK’s Department for International Development. My time is now spent campaigning in Ladywood. Any free time is spent with family and I am a proud advocate of marriage and family. My daughter Farah is crazy about football, swimming and climbing trees – I try and keep up. And I try and escape to the movies or theatre with my husband David Wheeldon, when we are not entering charity fun runs.
TIME FOR CHANGE
I believe that a change in Government is critical for the future of this country and for the people of Ladywood. A Conservative Government is the only possible solution for the many malaises that our society and economy face and I have a responsibility to give the people of Birmingham a real choice. This constituency desperately needs an inclusive, representative government that nurtures individual responsibility and enables communities like ours to find the right solutions to our problems. We need to promote greater opportunities for all, freeing people to deploy their talents and we need to recognise that in many areas the government has failed our community, that it does not have the right solutions and that we need the power ourselves to make change happen. We need to create a society that is open and that enshrines the rights of the individual while protecting security and building a stronger, economically self sufficient country. Above all we need a government that serves the people and not itself. We need a Conservative Government.
The status-quo has to change. The democratic process and our MPs have been de-graded and mocked. The public are fast becoming detached, with their representatives and with Parliament. The public will either disengage, weakening the Government’s legitimacy and ability to work effectively OR will create space for extremes, creating fractious and fractured communities. Either way, it is local communities of Ladywood that will suffer the most. As your MP I will work with communities as I have done all over the world and I can also make a difference in Parliament, with my experience in a number of critical policy areas including health and education. I want to work to ensure that the people of Ladywood are heard, consulted and involved in the political process. We need to work together to ensure that the next government is a Conservative Government.
Join the campaign TODAY